CALL TO ACTION
from RARICAnow! and allies
TAKE ACTION & SHARE IMMEDIATELY – THERE ARE 7 WAYS YOU CAN HELP
Dear community members and allies – our friend Geofrey Wamagale (he/she) is scheduled for deportation from Edmonton to Uganda on April 30, 2019. If he arrives in Uganda, he will be either killed or held in life imprisonment due to his sexual orientation and queer identity. We will not let this happen.
Geofrey has not yet had an Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) hearing with adequate translation and legal representation. He is currently suffering from acute PTSD and anxiety. On April 15th, Geofrey’s lawyer submitted a request to the IRB to postpone his deportation so that Geofrey can receive the necessary mental health supports that are unavailable for him in Uganda. We have not yet heard back. Read more about Geofrey’s story here.
We will not let the Canadian government take Geofrey from us. Now is the time to stand with Geofrey and our community and take action. You can support Geofrey in the following ways:
- Contact Randy Boissonnault, the MP for Edmonton Centre. Mr. Boissonnault has already been alerted of Geofrey’s deportation notice, but has, in the words of his secretary, “decided not to take action.” If you are a constituent of Mr. Boissonnault, please send him an email or call his office, requesting that he reconsider his decision.
Edmonton office: 1 780 442-1888
Ottawa office: 1 613 992-4524
2.Contact Hon. Ahmed Hussen, Minister of Immigration, using this email template.
3.Please include the following attachment: Letter in support of Geofrey Wamagale
- Sign Geofrey’s petition here.
- Donate to RARICAnow!, the LGBTIQ+ refugee organization fighting for Geofrey and other community members facing deportation.
- If you’re in Edmonton, attend RARICAnow!’s next fundraiser for Geofrey on April 29th.
- Contact email@example.com if you’re interested in getting more involved in organizing direct action in support of Geofrey.
- Share this with your friends! Know someone in a position of political power? Get them to sign on! Make a statement on behalf of your organization and send it to your elected representatives! DON’T LET THIS BE IGNORED.